Today's post is about Buxom Stay-There Eyeshadow in the shade "Shih Tzu" I was very disappointed and unsatisfied with not only pigmentation, but also staying power too!
Here's what the Sephora website says...
"This bounc-i-licious new eye color offers the ultimate experience with an unexpectedly plush, lightweight texture and vivid color. It leaps and bounds beyond what you've come to expect from eye color—and it's even waterproof. Named after our loyal four-legged friends, these stay-put shades will be your faithful new beauty companions as they comfort and care for your pretty peepers. The mineral-infused, paraben-free formula pampers delicate skin with soothing Aloe extract and vitamin E—all with a non-greasy, long-wearing finish. Touch it. Pet it. Love it. Only at Sephora."
Please note this as well...
In honor of our favorite Buxom Stay-There Eyeshadow and the furry friends they're named after, Bare Escentuals is making a charitable contribution to Canine Companions for Independence, a non-profit organization that enhances the lives of people with disabilities by providing highly trained assistance dogs.
Why I bought it: I bought this product awhile ago and after only using it a few times (and being very disappointed) it has found a home in my unused makeup drawer. Temptalia gave this product a pretty good rating so my hopes were high. At the time I purchased this I was really into chartreuse. I was experimenting with different colors and trying to incorporate them into my typical neutral/bronze looks. I thought the shade "Shih Tzu" looked unique and pretty. Honestly, that is about the only good thing going for this product...presentation.
What I did like:
- The packaging and name was cute. All of the names are dog related.
- The jar was easy to open and unscrew
- Jar was not heavy
- The texture was very smooth and almost reminded me of the Maybelline Bouncy Blush (I don't own this but have tested it out at the store)
- The biggest plus of this product is that portion of the sales goes to charity. It's always nice to see a company do this!
What I didn't like:
- The jar is tiny. I'm telling you .12oz!
- Since the jar is so tiny it's hard to get your finger in there. I have pretty small hands and it's tough for me to rub the product on. This is really annoying.
- This product is too expensive. It retails for $18 at Sephora (actually it's only sold at Sephora) and for the oz you are getting I don't think it justifies spending this much. I don't mind paying a pretty penny for a product, but I want quality AND value.
- The pigmentation = not good. After reading the review on Temptalia's page I was expecting a lot. I believe those swatches are built up to show you the color. However, I tried to build up the color and all I got were the swatches below. The payoff is sheer and very shimmery. I'd describe the payoff more as a "wash of color" rather a true "glided lime green" as Sephora defines it.
- This product had awful staying power on me. I remember wearing this shade on St. Patrick's Day and not even a few hours later was this already fading. Likewise, it creased horribly on me (and yes I was wearing eye primer like I always do!) So with that said, I am curious where that waterproof claim comes in.
(Top to Bottom) A very built up swatch & a swipe of the color
Would I recommend: No! This product did not perform well at all and bottom line I felt like I wasted my money. I'm upset that such a beautiful color did not stay true, but I can't speak for the other shades. Still, the pigmentation wasn't there and more importantly the wear was terrible. The formulation creased and faded early on me. I would imagine it would become non existent for those with oilier eyelids. I would suggest saying your hard earned $$$ and getting a cream eyeshadow that is worth it. Benefit Creaseless Cream Eyeshadows are my favorite. They are on the pricer shade too but the jar is A LOT bigger and the pigmentation and wear is excellent. I would have returned this but I threw away the receipt. The positive of keeping this, is that part of my money goes to a honorable charity so that makes me happy. Here is the link to learn more about Canine Companions for Independence HERE
As always, these are my personal experiences on this product. Just because it did not work on me does not mean it won't work for you. The point of these "Don't Waste Your Money!" reviews are to showcase a product that has gotten some press, but in my opinion isn't worth it. Also, I like to steer everyone to a similar product concept that IS worth your $!
Thanks for reading,